Sunday, January 18, 2009

Shane

At one point in writing Poker Slam, I was plot blocked. I couldn't figure out how best to make Utah's experience compelling. Then two things happened. One of them was Shane.

It was late one night after a poker game in April of 2006 where I was too wired to sleep, so I turned on the telly. Just starting was the movie, Shane. I wasn't sure if I'd seen it before, but I remember hearing that it was a classic. I decided to watch it. I was mesmerized for 117 minutes. What a great movie. If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.

Several key story telling techniques inspired me. The first concept was; keep your audience interested by dripping out details of the key characters. Don't pour out all the characterizations at once. I, along with all viewers, was so curious about who this Shane guy was. What was his history? Where did he come from? How skillful was he? I mean I was dying to know.

The second concept was "less is more." Don't have the characters make grand gestures or actions. Don't try to spell out explicitly what they stand for or what they are all about. Show things in the simplest possible terms. The simpler, the more powerful. In Shane, one of my favorite moments was when the name "Jack Wilson" was mentioned and Shane suddenly stopped what he was doing and raised his head up. That little gesture said it all. There was some connection. Did they have a gunfight? Were they once partners? Who would have thought that a simple glance could send shivers up your spine.

Finally, the movie showed me the power of building tension by having characters talk about the characters that haven't appeared yet. But not only talk about them but to have their name stir emotions. What a powerful way for the audience to get to know your heroes and villains before they make an appearance. We learn that this Jack Wilson is one mean son of a gun. But we learn it by the fear his name inspired not by grotesque pronouncements such as; "That Jack Wilson killed a hundred men in Dodge City." We just see ranchers eyes widen and quiver ever so slightly.

These techniques added some fascinating layering to the movie. There was sexual tension between the rancher's wife and Shane. There was respect from the son. There was a range of responses from the other ranchers towards Shane. And, in the end, we still never get a clear impression of who or what this Shane was all about. He puts the welfare of others over his own, yet he was an outlaw. But is he? Says who? He's Christ-like. And, of course, the classic ending. There's more I could say but I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen the 1953 Oscar-winning film yet. Is Poker Slam the new Shane? I would not be so bold as to say so. I tried. You'll have to compare them for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment