Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Poker Depths

Until I became immersed in my latest project to put poker courses on line, I didn't really know the game had such depth. It doesn't make any sense. You get two cards, there are five community cards and you try to make the best five card poker hand. Simple, right?

But the more I chart out the courses and the more I research and contemplate the subject, the more amazed I become as to all the intricacies of the game. First I figured a dozen or so one hour online narrated courses would do the trick. But then it becomes obvious that 12 to 15 courses barely scratches the surface.

I realize I need a couple of preliminary courses for the beginner spelling out the rules of the game and basic knowledge. Then I'll need another 15 courses to review basic hold 'em concepts that apply to both tournament and live (cash) play. The next phase will be another 15 to 20 courses on tournament strategy. Then I'll need another 15 to 20 courses on intermediate to advanced live game concepts. On top of that there will be several courses on "Bankroll Management" and other life style issues faced by the poker pro. Before I knew it, I had over 60 courses mapped out. And that only included No Limit Hold 'em. Afterward, experts in Omaha High/Low, Stud and Pot Limit Omaha High will each contribute another 15 to 20 courses each.

What makes the subject so deep is that you have three key perspectives of the game that overlap various key situations that make for much variety. The perspectives are the three Ps of poker:
  1. Probabilities - the math and numbers of the game
  2. Psychology - reading opponents
  3. Presence - creating your own image
Online delivery of courses is perfect for the conveyance of this type of knowledge. Its presented in a slick FLASH "movie." The user can stop and start, replay and skip around to his or her hearts content. Interactions are right on the screen. This means that experienced players can focus on the areas they are most interested in and the beginner can replay as many times as they want the critical concepts explanation until they get it and practice it for free on any of the "free play" poker sites. In essence, the user is in complete control of the experience. He or she decides how long to spend on a particular course and every other aspect of the educational process. The courses conveniently ask you if you'd like to continue where you left off when you re-enter the web site.

Also, from a quality standpoint, the courses are easy to improve, upgrade or correct. Students are good at finding mistakes and these mistakes can almost instantaneously be corrected. The courses just keep getting better and better. The explanations get clearer and clearer. If you have any interest in improving your game, I can't think of a better way to do it. If i could, I'd do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment